Listed below are some info and figures concerning the Nobel Prizes:
– 5 prizes had been created by Alfred Nobel in his 1895 will, for drugs, physics, chemistry, literature and peace, which had been awarded from 1901. A sixth prize in economics, “in reminiscence of Alfred Nobel”, was created by Sweden’s central financial institution in 1968.
– 6 laureates have declined the prize. The one two to take action of their very own will had been France’s Jean-Paul Sartre, who turned down the 1964 literature prize, and Vietnam’s peace negotiator Le Duc Tho, who refused to share the 1973 Nobel Peace Prize with US Secretary of State Henry Kissinger. Adolf Hitler forbade three German laureates – Richard Kuhn (chemistry 1938), Adolf Butenandt (chemistry 1939) and Gerhard Domagk (drugs 1939) – from accepting the prize, whereas Soviet authorities compelled Boris Pasternak to say no the 1958 literature prize.
– 17 was the age of the youngest laureate to be honoured, Malala Yousafzai of Pakistan (Peace 2014). The oldest laureate was Russian-born American Leonid Hurwicz (Economics 2007), who was 90.
– 18 laureates have been affiliated with the 2 universities claiming probably the most Nobels: Stanford and the College of California, Berkeley.
– 21 years: That’s how lengthy Myanmar’s Aung San Suu Kyi needed to wait earlier than she might journey to Oslo to gather the peace prize she was awarded in 1991. Additionally disadvantaged of their liberty: German pacifist Carl von Ossietzky (Peace 1935), who died in 1938 with out being allowed to go away his nation; and Chinese language dissident Liu Xiaobo (Peace 2010), who died earlier this yr after being granted medical parole from jail.
– 28 English-language writers have gained the literature prize, forward of French (14), German (13) and Spanish (11) laureates.
– 48 ladies have gained a Nobel prize, together with Marie Curie who gained it twice (Physics 1903 and Chemistry 1911). The economics prize, with just one feminine laureate in 2009, and the physics prize, with solely two laureates, stay probably the most inaccessible prizes for ladies.
– 49 is the variety of occasions the varied juries have determined to not award the prize. The peace prize has had no recipient 19 occasions, most lately in 1972.
– 50 years should go earlier than the juries’ prime secret deliberations are made public.
– 67 is the typical age of the economics prize laureates – the oldest common age throughout all disciplines. The youngest common age will be discovered amongst physics laureates at 55.
– 318 is the tally of nominations for the 2017 Nobel Peace Prize. 104 folks have obtained the prize since its creation, and 26 teams or organisations. In 1942, 1943 and 1944, no nominations had been accepted.
– 579 is the variety of occasions a Nobel has been awarded, to 911 people, between 1901 and 2016. A 3rd of laureates had been born in the US. The laureates born in Sweden (29), Norway (12) and Denmark (11) have collectively gained greater than these born in Japan (24), China (11) and India (7) collectively.
– 500 metres of linen tablecloth are positioned on the 60 tables on the Nobel gala banquet celebrating the laureates, held annually at Stockholm’s metropolis corridor on December 10 in honour of the loss of life of Alfred Nobel.
– 1,350 persons are usually invited to the banquet, the place 260 waiters serve meals on 7,000 items of china, together with 5,400 glasses and 10,000 items of silver cutlery.
– 9 million Swedish kronor ($1.1 million or 940,500 euros) is the sum to be awarded for every Nobel Prize in 2017, to be shared if a number of laureates are honoured in the identical self-discipline. Literature laureates are those probably to take residence the entire sum: on 105 events there was only one literature winner.
– four.2 billion kronor: The worth of the belongings managed by the Nobel Basis on the finish of 2016.